For More Information: Email Marketing Manager, Allison Swanson at email@example.com
Sept. 3 First Friday: Start your Labor Day weekend in Downtown Dayton
Aug. 27, 2021, DAYTON, Ohio — August is ending, students are back in school, and it’s time to celebrate a long weekend with Labor Day. Get the holiday weekend started at First Friday in downtown Dayton on Friday, Sept. 3 , beginning at 5 p.m. Details are listed below and can be found on the First Friday Facebook page event here.
For an entire listing of ways you can support the local, small businesses that make up the heart of downtown Dayton, including downtown Dayton dining options — with expanded patio and indoor social-distanced seating — retail hours and operations, and things to do in downtown Dayton, visit the DDP’s Rediscover Downtown Dayton webpage at www.downtowndayton.org/open.
Art, Dance, Music and Film
- The Contemporary Dayton, 25 W. Fourth St.: Open until 6 p.m., come to The CO to explore three installations, including Dayton-based Mychaelyn Michalec: From A Basement On A Hill; New Jersey artist Nina Chanel Abney; and Brooklyn-based artist Sara Cwynar. All exhibits open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, and Saturday from Find more information on the exhibits at. https://thecontemporarydayton.org/2020-2021-season-schedule/ or call 937-224-3822 for more information.
- Dayton Art Institute, 456 Belmonte Park N.: Visit the latest special exhibition open on Fridays until 5 p.m.: Changing Times: Art of the 1960s showing movements of the era, seen in diverse styles of Pop, Op, Minimalism and Conceptual art, and artists working in abstract styles that responded to the influences of earlier artists. Drawing on the museum’s extensive collection and featuring artists who include Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Jim Dine, Aka Pereyma, Robert Motherwell, Gene Davis, Sol LeWitt and many others, this exploration into the remarkable decade is organized by the Dayton Art Institute.
- Dayton Society of Artists, 48 High St Dayton, OH 45403: The Dayton Society of Artists is pleased to present Bettertogether — the Dayton Society of Artists’s annual members’s exhibition. In the exhibition, you’ll see the wide diversity of materials, styles, and techniques used to create artwork, reflective of the members in and of themselves. or by calling 937-228-4532. be shown at DSA’s gallery through September 18.
- Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave., 937-224-7822: Live music at the Dublin Pub! Stop by for a pint and listen to live music for Irish First Fridays. Happy Hour from 3-6pm. Seating inside and on the extended patio.
- Dayton Metro Library, 215 E. Third St.: Visit the temporary exhibit Undesign the Redline – an important, visually compelling exhibit that traces the tangled roots of governmental policies to the social issues we face today. Undesign the Redline ignites discussion about race, wealth, opportunity, and power, with the goal of transforming the future. Find more info at http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/undesign-the-redline
- Edward A. Dixon Gallery, lobby of 131 N. Ludlow St.: Visit this gallery inside the lobby of the Talbott Tower at 131 N. Ludlow St., open on First Friday until 6 p.m. Free to the public and open weekends – Fridays and Saturdays, call the gallery at (937) 985-2115 for hours. And shop the gallery online at: http://shop.eadgallery.com/
- First Friday at Front Street, 1001 E. Second St.: Spend an inspiring evening with us at 1st Friday Art Hop – while you enjoy live music from The Flashback Band & dinner from Rolling Oasis. Check out more than 40 art studios and galleries across our campus! Art hops at Front Street are always free to attend and conveniently located in Dayton just off St. Route 35. Free, lit, onsite parking is available in surrounding lots.
- iMadeThis DIY Art Studio, 411 E. Fifth St.: Stop by iMadeThis for Open Studio Crafting Fridays every Friday from 5-9 p.m., Saturdays 12-9 p.m., and Sunday 12-6 p.m. iMadeThis offers hundreds of design-your-own activities for children and adults. Find more information on their website: https://imadethis.art/
- K-12 Gallery and TEJAS, 341 S. Jefferson St.: First Friday will be the opening night for the latest K-12 exhibit “Artists in House” with a variety of pieces by K12 Gallery & TEJAS teachers, staff, and interns. Join us for the opening reception at the gallery from 6-8 p.m. Learn more about K-12 artists and classes at: https://k12tejasgallery.org/
- Levitt Pavilion Dayton, 134 S. Main Street: Enjoy FREE outdoor concerts all summer long on the Levitt Pavilion Dayton lawn. This First Friday, you can hear the rockabilly band, Nicky Kay’s Trio / Cherry Lee and the Hot Rod Hounds, who blends rockabilly, surf instrumentals, and Nick’s own Americana-influenced originals to form a sound that pays homage to the birth of rock’n’roll as well as today’s American roots music revival. Concerts start at 7 p.m. Find more full summer concert series lineup here.
- The Neon movie theater, 130 E. Fifth St.: Click here for the latest offerings from downtown Dayton’s independent, art theater, featuring in-person and virtual viewing options: https://www.neonmovies.com/. Also enjoy beer and cocktail specials during First Friday, and you can purchase a DORA drink at the Neon to walk around downtown Dayton’ Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area.
- Picture Perfect Paint Parties, 123 N. Ludlow St., 937-265-0691: For First Friday, all Take Home Paint Party Kits are buy one get one 1/2 off. www.pictureperfectpaintparties.com
- RiverScape MetroPark, 237 E. Monument Ave.: Pickin in the Park Pickin’ in the Park 6:00pm – 10:00pm, Free for all ages. Come out and enjoy Pickin’ in the Park, part of our FREE Summer Music Series presented by the Jack W. & Sally D. Eichelberger Foundation! Grab some food from a variety of food trucks and then head to the pavilion for a great night of progressive bluegrass music by Stringus Khan and Whiskey Bent Valley Boys! Grab some food from a variety of food trucks and then dance the night away under the pavilion! Weather Dependent. https://www.facebook.com/events/272227547925499/
- Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. Third St.: Join Skeleton Dust to explore new music, with a live DJ out front of the store spinning tracks while special vendor guests Pink Moon Goods and Reduce Reuse Refillery have pop-up shops on the sidewalk for a special First Friday event. Weather dependent.
- Toxic Brew Company, 431 E. Fifth St.: Visit Toxic on First Friday for a pint of your favorite locally brewed beer or a craft cocktail and to enjoy a new art display inside the brewery by local artist Dylan Sage. You can see examples of his work at instagram.com/dylusionalartist/
- Out on Fifth in the Oregon District, Fifth Street: A pedestrian-only area as Fifth Street is closed to vehicular traffic on the weekends and turned into an entertainment destination, featuring live musicians and performers in the streets, extended patios at your favorite local restaurants and bars, and the Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA) in the Oregon District.
- Yellow Cab Tavern Art Gallery, 700 E. Fourth St.: The Yellow Cab Gallery is BACK and hosting a monthly residency with local artists. Join for a gallery opening party from 5 – 8pm as part of every First Friday in Downtown Dayton! September’s First Friday featuring RIP OOG! His work focuses on day-in-the-life moments, the disruption of patterns, and a playful spin on symbology. With style that’s been described by a poet as “billboard-esque.”
Dining and Drinks
- Out on Fifth in the Oregon District, Closing down Fifth Street from Patterson Boulevard to Wayne Avenue every Friday night through Sunday evening allows the Oregon business district to open up the street for guests to shop – dine – and relax in the open air. With extended sidewalk storefront, street entertainment, and outdoor public dining tables, and extended bar and restaurant patios, there’s fun for the whole family. Fridays from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Choice Juice Boxx, 31 S. St. Clair St.: Join us for a Friday Juice Happy Hour with a free wellness shot, available until supplies run out. Choice Juice Boxx offers healthy and natural alkaline juices and drinks that promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Jollity, 127 E. Third St: Starting Labor Day weekend, Jollity will begin Saturday brunch from 10 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Jollity is a new restaurant in The Fire Blocks District with a full-service new American and Midwest cuisine with global influence.Find regular business hours and menus at: https://www.jollitydayton.com/
- Local Cantina, 501 E. First St: For First Friday specials you’ll find $5 Mustache Ride Margaritas and $3 Draft pints from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Lily’s Dayton, 329 E. Fifth St., 937-723-7637: Open for dine in, delivery with 937Delivers or carryout – join us for local food and hand-crafted tiki or traditional cocktails. Including two outdoors patios, and DORA drinks you can take to Out on Fifth.
- Mudlick Tap House, 135 E. Second St., (937) 895-4066: Join us to kick of First Friday for Happiness Hours, from 4-6 p.m. with $2 off glasses of wine, a $6 cocktail feature, $2 off draft beers and ½ off of shareables. Enjoy a night on our extended outdoor patio.
- Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St., 937-223-9205: Every First Friday join us for Happy Hour deals from 5-8 p.m. with music from the Linda Prevo Band. Stop in for some of the best pizza in Dayton. Happy hour specials and LIVE music. Dine in, carryout and curbside pickup available. Find our menu on our website here.
- Salar Restaurant and Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St., 937-203-3999: Kick off your First Friday with happy hour at Salar from 4-6 p.m. with cocktail specials, $5 house wine pours, $1 off of all beers, and bar bites specials. Enjoy dinner, too, available for dine in or carryout. And we have a special extended street patio set up for Out on 5th, the pedestrian promenade weekends in the Oregon District.
- Salt Block Biscuit Company, 115 E. Third St.: Biscuits aren’t just for breakfast! Salt Block has expanded dinner hours, with a special dinner menu for in-house dining, or your favorites to-go to enjoy at the Levitt Lawn. Find specials listed on the Salt Block Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/SaltBlockBiscuitCo. Or order for pickup on our website https://www.toasttab.com/salt-block-biscuit-company/v3/?mode=fulfillment.
- Third Perk Coffeehouse and Wine Bar, 146 E. Third St.: Friday nights are Cigars, Cocktails and The Patio at Third Perk from 7 p.m. to midnight. Enjoy your favorite coffee drinks, or specialty cocktails with our full service bar. Saturday nights are Reggae Night from 8 p.m. to midnight.
- Troll Pub Dayton, 216 Wayne Ave.: Every Friday at the Troll Pub is part of W.T.F Happy Hours: Wednesday, Thursday & Friday from 4-7 p.m. featuring 1/2 Priced Pints & 1/2 priced apps, $4 Fireball Shots & $4 Wheatly Vodka specials.
- Table 33 Dayton, 130 W. Second St.: Fridays are wine night at Table 33, with $3.33 wine pairings with any entree.
- Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St., 937-461-1101: Enjoy Half-off Happy Hour!
- Winans Chocolates and Coffee, 221 N. Patterson Blvd: Enjoy a First Friday at Winans with a special offer of $15 wine flights and a free piece of chocolate with the purchase of a latte (enjoy inside or on our patio). Open until 9:30 p.m. 937-732-1001.
- Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E. Fourth St.: Come to the Yellow Cab Tavern for Pizza Bandit, drinks and every First Friday will have the special guest I Heart Ice Cream will be joining us every First Friday at the Yellow Cab Tavern in Downtown Dayton from 5 – 9pm! They’ll be rollin’ up their amazing gourmet rolled ice cream right before your eyes and stay on the lookout for some special Pizza Bandit collaborations too!
Special Shopping Deals and Activities
- Choice Juice Boxx and Varsity House gallery, 31 S. St. Clair St.: Stop by the shop to grab a fresh juice or smoothie, or take a look at the offerings at Varsity House, which features local artists and makers. Start your Choice Juice punch card – buy 9 juices, get the 10th free.
- Connect E-Sports, 212 Wayne Ave.: Stop by Connect E-Sports gaming in the Wheelhouse to play your favorite console or computer games in online tournaments or with your friends. A special First Friday deal for new guests: Any new account at Connect E-Sports will receive one free hour of gaming. Find info about the games you can play on the website: https://connectesports.com/
- Grace Lane Boutique, 133 E. Fourth St., 937-903-2729: Stop by this boutique to see to shop the latest in ethical fashion brands, with a special “Summer’s not over” sale of 20% off everything in the store from Sept. 1-4. Plus additional 70% off clearance items and 25% off sale racks. Live music and local vendors will be at the store from 6-8 p.m.
- Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. Third St.: Join Skeleton Dust to explore new music, with a live DJ out front of the store spinning tracks while special vendor guests Pink Moon Goods and Reduce Reuse Refillery have pop-up shops on the sidewalk for a special First Friday event from 5-8 p.m. Weather dependent.
- Vidia’s Closet, 27 S. St. Clair St., 937-813-2144: Vidia’s Closet is having a First Friday Sale with 25% off of all in-store inventory, and a free bottle of wine with all purchases $100+. Shop fashion-forward trends for all in their online boutique at https://www.vidiascloset.com/.
Share this Post